Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Monthly Reptile Auction  (Read 15030 times)

Offline Dave MacIntosh

• Administrator
  • Reptile fossil
Monthly Reptile Auction
« on: April 24, 2006, 04:44:06 PM »
I was throwing around the idea of having a monthly no reserve reptile auction here on this forum. I was at first thinking of doing as a way of offering somebody a possible chance to perhaps get a reptile that they wanted very cheap. I am after opinions on this idea, as may be, as well as us releasing to auction a reptile per month we should allow others to do it as well. The first snake I was considering was a hatchling woma. Comments please.
Cheers Dave

Offline bassman

• Young serpent
Re: Monthly Reptile Auction
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 04:56:33 PM »
That sounds awsome dave i think alot of people will find the idea very appealing

cheers Sam ;D

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 05:45:38 PM »
Sounds good mate, be worth giving it a run and see what happens from there.

Cheers
Jordan

Offline Dave MacIntosh

• Administrator
  • Reptile fossil
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 05:50:50 PM »
The question is, should we make it a public bid situation where everyone here can read who and how much an individual is bidding or should we kept the individual bids confidential ? I want this to be a fun process if I can but am all ears to any suggestions.

Offline Dave MacIntosh

• Administrator
  • Reptile fossil
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 05:57:34 PM »
I was also considering donating funds from the first auction to APS to help them along with their expenses for their server.
I might try a Blackheaded first until it gets a bit of momentum.

Offline Jonathon

• Young serpent
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 06:22:46 PM »
I think thats a great idea!

Offline Earthling

• Young serpent
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 07:36:07 PM »
the individual bids confidential is a good idea. However still allow comments as usual, sounds good overall but and will definetly generate interest in the site once word gets out. i would be surprised if the reptiles go cheap but, what with a lot of big guns around. i spose you would post up the winners name yeah? APS? :oAussie pythons and Snakes???  >:( perhaps donate to them but first get them to drop their excesssive restrictions on joining ie. home phone and internet providers email account. Not all of us fit into a box as well as they would like. Otherwise all good.

Offline Dave MacIntosh

• Administrator
  • Reptile fossil
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 08:05:25 PM »
I am not sure why they insist on the home telephone bit but I guess there is a valid reason for it. I do agree that it can sometimes make it hard for some people that want their home number kept private.
As far as an auction goes I will pick out a suitable blackheaded python over the next few days and post up a few pics of it here and get the ball rolling. Any auction bid will have included, all royalty, export, and frieght costs covered by us.
Cheers Dave
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 07:00:34 AM by Dave MacIntosh »

Offline ad

• Mature serpent
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 06:52:35 AM »
Sounds like a good idea to me,  you are the only one who can lose Dave!

Offline Dicko

• Just hatched
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 07:06:20 AM »
I think it's a great idea, one I'd definately participate in, I also think confidentiality would be a good idea.

Offline MrBredli

• Young serpent
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »
Great idea Dave and very kind of you to offer something back to the herp community. I just hope the winner is someone who genuinely wouldn't be able to afford a BHP under normal circumstances, if you know what i mean?

Notechis

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 10:34:44 PM »
Great Idea if these are captive bred animals.

Takers in W.A need to focus more on breeding and less on harvesting local populations of wild reptiles. How many wild caught womas Dave have you sent over east and how many have you bred??

Offline Dave MacIntosh

• Administrator
  • Reptile fossil
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »
Notechis
Any proposed auction would definitely be a wild caught reptile.
We here at Pilbara Pythons up until 4 weeks ago were never allowed and licenced to breed reptiles here. We have now obtained a farmers licence and the future looks promising.
You will find that most of the wild life licenced takers, share your feelings in regards to captive breeding over continuous harvesting. Unfortunately it takes time to gain suitable stock that will guarantee that a breeding  program will be substainable.
The numbers exported out side of W.A from us at this stage remains confidential but I can tell you that it a small percentage of the total number harvested and currently held.

Cheers Dave
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 09:33:35 AM by Dave MacIntosh »

Offline pilbaralad

• Young serpent
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 03:26:56 PM »
Hi there all, back from my month long holiday interstate and ready to start my herp collection.

Congrats Donelle and Dave on farming licence.

So whens the Auction starting !!!

Popped into Rocky reptiles while in Perth, seems they have fallen on hard times and had to downsize. They are in a shop about 1/4 the size of their previous shop and off the main drag, seems they were more popular as a reptile zoo than actually selling reptiles. It looks like they are going to concentrate on having their range on the internet and using the smaller shop as pickup and supplies rather than the large amount of reptiles they had on display previously. They have also changed their name to"reptile trader".

The owner also said he was going to import some flat pack vivariums, fully equipped, just order and assemble on delivery..just like ikea furniture evidentally. Should be interesting to see when he puts them on his site.

Offline Dave MacIntosh

• Administrator
  • Reptile fossil
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 07:47:31 AM »
Sounds like you had a descent holiday there Bret, I need one myself.
How are the temperatures down in Newman of late I would imagine it would getting a bit to cold for night time herp activity. I have been a bit busy setting up an out door enclosure for 5 frillnecks that I got from the Kimberley's so haven't got around to finding a suitable BHP for auction yet, but I make that a priority shortly.
Cheers Dave

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6