Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 6
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Barking Geckos Hiding  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Bonem

• Just hatched
Barking Geckos Hiding
« on: May 14, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »
I recently brought some Barking Geckos but they just about never come out of hiding.  I have tried there cage very dark to just a bit of light.  I have only ever seen one out as I lifted the cover and it went and hid with the extra light.  I put them in a 20lts bucket to feed them and now they are feeding really well as they never ate much and crickets were still walking around 48 hours later.  Could it be that I have only had them a week and they will come out over time???  Any ideas or suggestions.......thanks bones

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
Re: Barking Geckos Hiding
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 08:48:14 AM »
Perfectly normal. That's what they do and why you don't see many out in the bush unless you go spot lighting at night. They're nocturnal and will generally be out after dark. When I kept them they'd be out around 7pm if the room I kept them in had no light other than the window. They aren't great display animals. But fascinating to keep if you can tolerate not seeing them very often.

Offline Bonem

• Just hatched
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 01:24:46 PM »
I knew they were noctornal but thought they would all be out after dark - there home is very basic with 2 tiny hides and 2 branches - would it be ok to remove the hides for a few hours every night or would this stress them??????  thanks bones

Offline adderboy

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »
If you force them out into the open (which is essentially what you'll be doing if you remove their hides) then yes, you'll increase their stress levels.  I suggest you get used to their habits and learn when you have the best chance to observe them. 

S

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »
If you want an active display animal you've picked about the worst group of reptiles you could have. As Simon said, forcing them into the open will is a bad idea, you'll end up with stressed and ultimately dead animals. If you want activity, buy something diurnal like a skink or dragon.

Offline Bonem

• Just hatched
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 04:25:11 PM »
i read so much and watched heaps of you tube vids and none mentioned anything about them being shy - i will try to sell them and get a dragon..................

Offline Molerat52

• Young serpent
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »
I think for most people it is a given that geckos are going to be shy or skittish. They are not particularly high on the food chain so these behaviours try keep instances of being consumed down.

Not sure if your aware but there is a 3 month period before you can sell or transfer any herpetofauna between keeper licenses.

Best of luck.

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6