Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Sea containers ?  (Read 2081 times)

Offline flip91

• Mature serpent
  • big girl star
Sea containers ?
« on: March 03, 2014, 01:54:34 PM »
Hey all just wondering if anyone on here has transformed a sea container ( 20 foot insulated unit of a truck i think ) into a reptile room ??

Just wondering any tricks or ideas ?

Just wondering about the heating ( ambient air temp ) wether to put reverse cycle in there but just wondering IF there is a cheaper way ?

How many windows to put in to make sure there is plenty of air flow but also it dosnt let out all the heat or cool air that I'm pumping in there ?

Any help would be great thanks :) flip
Looking faward to getting back into the reptile game . Have missed it !!

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
Re: Sea containers ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 05:25:38 PM »
You have a spare sea container? Just seem's unusual if you don't  :o

Offline flip91

• Mature serpent
  • big girl star
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »
 :) i brought one of gumtree about 2 weeks ago for this purpose . So was just seeing if i could get some help ? 

Offline Alan

• Mature serpent
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 02:10:22 PM »
This sounds awesome, I have 4 at work, you can pick them up relatively cheap. we use one as a work shed, it use to get stinking hot in there tho, it now has insulation reverse cycle air con and colour bond that is raised 100mm around the outside of the container, that way the sun heats up the tin first then the breeze can go between the tin and the container cooling it down a little bit. It works but still need air con. Its not too expensive to run either being such a small area to control the temperature.
The awkward look you get when u ask a girl if she'd like to come back to your place and check out your snake :/

Offline flip91

• Mature serpent
  • big girl star
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
Cheers mate good idea any idea is good trying to work out all the bugs b4 i build it

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:43:44 AM »
Chuck some pictures up, be interesting to see. And what ballpark are you looking at for buying a sea container?

Offline stu

• Mature serpent
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »
Very important to iron out bugs beforehand and have a cooling redundancy. Not uncommon for inadequately cooled sheds / sea containers to hit 50c in summer which would lead to a lot of cooked animals. If you can park it up under the shade of trees it will dramatically reduce the direct load and leave you largely dealing with ambient. If using aircon will pay to have a redundancy plan in case of power failure etc.

Offline cm666

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 12:51:18 PM »
sounds like a good idea to transform one over -  I know in Broome we have a Shire policy on 'No sea containers in residential areas' - just wondering if you have the same down there ?  would be a shame to go all that work and find out you are not allowed to have them in the respective shire - normally need planning approval, etc    cheers

Offline flip91

• Mature serpent
  • big girl star
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 02:31:12 PM »
Thanks all  cm666 should be ok fair few people have them around here as i live in perth hills  so we have a few acres . ( but will make the call and check first ) 

Stu as for shade was thinking about puting it between two  trees then running a large shade cloth over the top to keep direct sun off it and put a couple of solar panels over onto of my shed to cut down my power usage :)

Let's hope it all works but this wont happen over night will take me a fair few moths as i am gona take my time instead of rushing it and not making in 100% ( would hate to lose or have any unhappy animals in it )

Cheers for all the input it helps :)

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6