Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 2
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Herping in Kalbarri question  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Jamiet

• Just hatched
Herping in Kalbarri question
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »
Hello,

In a couple of weeks I'm off to Kalbarri with my family. While I'm there I am very keen to spot some unique herps. Can anyone please offer some advice of times, spots or any other tips? I'm particularly interested in:

Thorny devil
Mulga snake
Western brown snake
Western blue tongue

Thank you for your assistance!

Offline maxinads

• Mature serpent
Re: Herping in Kalbarri question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
I was literally just up there. Couldn't get any decent help. There are a LOT of Ta-Ta's running around.
Also saw a couple of unusual (for Perth) skinks.

I have been told to try the entrance to the national park heading to nature's window in the late arvo to spot blue tongue's, stimmies and bearded dragons.

Offline BrownHash

• Mature serpent
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »
Depending on weather etc, I would suggest finding some good roads and cruising them at night. Look for roads that aren't too active and have descent bush/scrub adjacent to it. Also, cruising roads in the morning may get you some animals basking. The species you've listed can all be found just road cruising.

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:19:22 PM »
Found a few animals last time I was there. Just cruising the roads after dark. See link.
http://www.pilbarapythons.com/trueblue/index.php?topic=2840.msg27957#msg27957

Offline Jules

• Young serpent
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 08:42:34 AM »
hey the western spotted frog is awesome!
does anyone actually keep these in WA? I have never heard of them or seen them in captivity.

Offline Bluetongue

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
Snowman,
Unfortunately I was not active on the forum when you posted the results of your trip.  Not a lot but some quality animals.  A pity about the Stimson’s as it is a real looker.  The Diplodactylus is pulcher, not klugei.  A pity about the low batteries – a real pain in the butt when you least need it.

Jules,
I was responsible for the Western Spotted Frog being on the original keeping list as it is a stunning looking animal – purple with yellow spots.  The problem is I did not consider its habits.  It is a burrower that emerges at night after rain.  So in captivity you would seldom ever see it.  My mistake.  Still, it can be kept if you organise a licensed ‘taker’ to collect what you want.

Offline Tafkas1

• Mature serpent
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 07:53:08 AM »
Going by the 3rd pic I would have to agree with mike. If the 1st two pics are a different animal then it could be D. klugei, I was unable to get a clear enough zoom to view the rostral. The first 2 pics look near identical to the D.klugei pictured in Wilson and Swan 3rd edition though obviously thats not enough for ID

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »
Yeah two different animals. It was a while ago and those things were everywhere. I recall ID one and then thinking they were all the same. Have to go again and check more carefully.

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »
Found another pic of that animal. Still blurry on zoom (crap lens then) but can see the rostral inst touching the nostril.. They are all pulcher. Good pick up Mike.

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6