Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 2
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Feeding live  (Read 3939 times)

Offline lithopian

• Mature serpent
    • Photography Blog
Re: Feeding live
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »
No need to say unfortunately. Reptile Trader has and will continue to produce nice animals. There are some nice looking carpets around from them that I have seen pictures of on here.

I did not mean by asking where you obtained it that the breeder is at fault.
Tip of the trade... make sure that your partner is just as addicted to reptiles as you are! Then the only argument you have is "OK, but where will we put them?"

Offline W.A.R.F

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »
Nicely said Lithopian

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 07:06:08 PM »
No need to say unfortunately. Reptile Trader has and will continue to produce nice animals. There are some nice looking carpets around from them that I have seen pictures of on here.

I did not mean by asking where you obtained it that the breeder is at fault.

I say unfortunately because they sell me a well overpriced snake and ensure that it feed's and handle's well, that turns out to not eat anything. I have bought much better animals from private breeders, though saying that she is a beautiful colour and i love her.

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »
How distressing...

So i just fed her a 24g mouse. She must weigh 400-500 grams i reckon, will weigh her properly probably monday/tuesday when she's settled again. I'll aim for 10-20% of her body weight as i go, so maybe just 2 mice next time. Took around 10-20 minutes to get it down.

Put her back and she's active now moving around, didn't regurg (made sure it was down an inch or two from the mouth). This is a 6 year old SWCP we're talking about, it looks like a 6 month old. Will i be fine to force feed her 10-20% of her weight every week until she gets good condition on her?

Offline Tafkas1

• Mature serpent
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 08:16:59 PM »
Might be worth trying a normal feed first. Have you left items in the enclosure overnight?

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »
Might be worth trying a normal feed first. Have you left items in the enclosure overnight?

Mate, the shit i've tried. Mice, rats, chickens, braining, heating, leaving overnight, bagging, covering... I'll go with the method, try feed normal, if not, force it.

Offline Tafkas1

• Mature serpent
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 06:48:42 AM »
sometimes a single force feed is enough to trigger them off again. Before forcing again I would try a normal feed including leaving it overnight if it doesn't immediately strike and constrict.

As others have said getting a vet  to look at the bulge is important, it could be the reason she is still refusing to eat. An impacted snake can still pass some faeces, The bulge could be an impending prolapse or an infection around the cloaca reproductive organs etc etc.

Are you seeing any dirty drag marks around the enclosure and substrate? and is the area around the cloaca clean or is there a build up of gunk under the anal scale and around it?

A pic would be good.

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 08:26:49 PM »
I've never weighed a mouse or rat in my life (that I can recall), wouldn't even know what to suggest in that regard. I'd give it a week to let its gut get used to working again then force again with a couple of mice and go from there. Without seeing the animal and the food next to each other I cant really say how much is too much/ enough. Like has been said it's worth checking out that lump if it's still there, could be an issue.

Jordan

Offline Bluetongue

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 10:14:50 PM »

A healthy snake does not just stop eating for that length of time.   Id investigate the lump first. It does not like impacted faeces as it would have to have developed shortly after the last meal and often they can only be felt (by gentle palpation) rather than seen.  It is more likely an abscess or tumour, which is a vet job.  Get that fixed and it night get its appetite back. Hope the feed did not hurt it.

Reptiles should NOT be given oils like paraffin for constipation issues.  They should only be given water. Depending on animal size 1 - 2 mL two or three times a day (and definitely no more) for 3 or 4 days would be adequate for your snake. Use a syringe with a bit of aquarium air tubing. Take extreme care that the tubing goes down the end of the oesophagus and not the windpipe. Combine with a tepid bath (28 to 30 degrees) 30 mins twice a day. Ensure that the tail is lifted underwater to open the vent and allow water to enter the cloaca and rectum.  No result after 3 or 4 days and it is a job for the vet. Sorry this post is late but it may help someone else. 

Hows the snake?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:23:42 PM by Bluetongue »

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »
Tried force feeding again tonight after she wouldn't take a mouse, got it down and put her back. First thing she did was regurg it....

Going to book her into vets for Saturday, hoping its just worms or something stupid to treat. Lumps gone, few scaley yellow bits on her belly tonight I washed with a bit of water. Will just let the bet do a thorough check up and see what they say.

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 07:39:36 PM »

Okay, no idea what the fuck this is. This was maybe half an hour after she regurged the mouse we tried to feed.... Healthy?

Offline Molerat52

• Young serpent
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 09:37:25 PM »
The white is uric acid if thats what your asking about?

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 06:11:44 AM »

Yeah, never seen it that big I guess. So it's at least a healthy, if not massive shit?

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 07:11:58 AM »

Yeah, never seen it that big I guess. So it's at least a healthy, if not massive shit?
You'll get poop with larger urates than that with your carpet..... BHP's often it's just urates that need cleaning...

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 07:20:30 AM »
Shit looks fine. See what the vet has to say, if they cant find any obvious issues it might be worth worming the snake anyway to deal with that potential issue. Some snakes just don't take well to captivity and unfortunately only the dealer has any clue as to its history.

The snakes gut appears to be working, I'd continue forcing but massage the food down further next time. If the snake gets a good kink behind the food going down it'll almost definitely spit it back out.

I cant be bothered reading back to see if this has been answered, how is it now housed?

Jordan

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6