Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 7
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Feeding live  (Read 3940 times)

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
Feeding live
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:38:54 AM »
Any advice for feeding live to a snake? Last resort I need to feed this stupid bitch, has eaten 2-3 day old chicks in last 8-12
Months. Losing lots of weight, won't take any food.

Was thinking of trying live, and leaving in for 15-30 minutes, rip it out if it goes my snake? Anything better\easier to feed live? Was thinking just mice.

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
Re: Feeding live
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:44:17 AM »
I'd force feed before live feed. But that's just me....
What type of snake?

Offline lithopian

• Mature serpent
    • Photography Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:07:13 AM »
I think I remember you posting about this snake awhile back its a carpet, is that right?

I would also agree with force feeding. Live feeding is a restriction on a regular licence as well, isnt it? Also, what makes you think it will prefer a live mouse? Normally everyone would ask you to give some viv parameters and temp readings, but from memory, no one had suggestions last time too. Correct me if Im wrong.
Tip of the trade... make sure that your partner is just as addicted to reptiles as you are! Then the only argument you have is "OK, but where will we put them?"

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:07:35 AM »
How big is the snake?

Offline lithopian

• Mature serpent
    • Photography Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »
This is the post I was referring to reading: http://www.pilbarapythons.com/trueblue/index.php?topic=3790.msg36410#msg36410

After reading that post again, did you manage to increase her temps?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:25:43 AM by lithopian »
Tip of the trade... make sure that your partner is just as addicted to reptiles as you are! Then the only argument you have is "OK, but where will we put them?"

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »
Force feeding sounds stressful, I would hope with live she would react with instincts, kill n eat. All fails I could kill it and force feed her I guess. Any tips or how to force feed?

Got the temps up, she gets 35ish daytime, 28ish nighttime. Only comes out at night lately. Has a bulge on the back end of her tail so not sure if she's shitting (fuck knows how if she doesn't eat) or not sure.

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 01:36:51 PM »
And would a bulge indicate constipation or infection? Worth bathing her?

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
Force feeding sounds stressful, I would hope with live she would react with instincts, kill n eat. All fails I could kill it and force feed her I guess. Any tips or how to force feed?

Got the temps up, she gets 35ish daytime, 28ish nighttime. Only comes out at night lately. Has a bulge on the back end of her tail so not sure if she's shitting (fuck knows how if she doesn't eat) or not sure.

Instincts?
In the wild they sit in ambush on a scent trail. They often strike from above and constrict a completely unaware prey.
There is no ambush when you throw a live rodent in the cage. The rodent is immediately defensive.

There is no need for live feeding for carpets. It's that simple.

As for the bulge take it a vet. Could be impaction or an abscess. But who knows... perhaps it will explain why it doesn't feed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 01:58:55 PM by Snowman »

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »

Be more stressful if the rodent takes a lump out of the snake and you have to inject antibiotics and bathe the would every few days.

To force feed without any experience id pick some dead prey that will easily slide down the snakes throat. Something like fuzzy rats for a grown carpet. Get the snake by the neck in your left hand with the throat held straight and the rest of the body restrained (get someone to help). Slide something like a credit card into it's mouth with your right hand, let it go, grab the rodent with the right hand and use the card as a lever to open the mouth and slide the rodent in. Drop the card out once the head/ forebody is in the snakes mouth and use a pair of long forceps to grip either side of the rodent and slide it down the snakes throat. Drop the forceps and continue to massage the rodent down the snakes throat a good way to stop it from regurgitating. For the first time just leave it at one small prey item and increase the numbers once the snakes gut has been given a chance to wake up.

Seems difficult but it's really not after a while and far easier if there's two of you.

Jordan

Offline adderboy

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »
Might be best to work out whether the snake is suffering from impaction before feeding it again.  If it is impacted, by feeding it you could end up worsening the problem. 

Impaction can usually be resolved by the keeper if spotted early enough (someone has already mentioned a warmish bath), but a vet might be a better bet for you now.  Especially if you aren't sure it's not an abscess.  But I'd resist feeding it until you work out what's going on - just do it soon so it doesn't end up starving.

Simon
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:36:43 AM by adderboy »

Offline W.A.R.F

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 05:03:10 PM »
The problem with feeding live is, if the snake is not interested you just end up with a scared mouse jumping around the cage, biting everything that moves. Instincts don't take over unless the snake is hungry.

Warren

Offline cm666

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 10:12:05 PM »
I would agree with adderboy   get the snake checked by a vet  first  - I have rescued constipated snakes before from the wild - (had to subcut fluid into one to try and hydrate and see if that worked - it didn't and needed an operation which worked out well - snake was severely constipated though. Another one was not too bad so I injected some liquid paraffin into a weaner mouse and it ate that and that helped.  Hopefully yours may be slight constipation and not  a tumour or something

can you post a photo of the lump ?  hope it works out for you

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 06:20:50 AM »
Can it be constipation? She has shat, not eating how is she going to be constipated? Not a lump as such, just a bulge. Defrosting a mouse today so will try force feeding tonight if bulge has gone away I guess.

So sad watching her fade away, still looks healthy and all, flick tongue at me last night while hiding in her cave  :D

Offline lithopian

• Mature serpent
    • Photography Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »
May I ask where you bought her from? Do you know if she is captive bred or wild caught?

Offline weasleish

• Mature serpent
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »
May I ask where you bought her from? Do you know if she is captive bred or wild caught?

Unfortunately Reptile Trader Rockingham. Captive bred I believe

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6