Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 7
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: When is cheap too cheap?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline cm666

• Geriatric reptile
Re: When is cheap too cheap?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 09:28:56 PM »
I find this one a great topic and agree with Adderboy - I always thought the whole idea was to get specimens into captive breeding and reduce the take of wild caught specimens - it doesn't seem this is the case and that is why prices drop because mostly everyone can breed stimos and swcps   I like colour variants and that is probably the reason why not completely limiting the take from wild populations may help.
I don't have a takers license and I cannot see how anyone could make a living from just being a taker with the royalties and fuel costs from driving around hoping to find snakes.    Just my comments though

I am eagerly awaiting the commencement of take of the new listed species which I presumed was supposed to happen the day after gazettal - this still does not seem to be the case.

Offline AndrewHenderson

• Reptile fossil
  • 2 stimmies, 6 SWCP, 3 Womas, 2 BHP.....lucky 13?!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 01:23:49 AM »
At the very least there should be limits introduced on how many can be taken each year by each taker. It will encourage captive breeding. I think the majority of the takers have that license because they enjoy going out looking for the animals and if they happen to come across some that are special they have the opportunity to collect. I think if takers really sat down and worked out what taking from the wild was costing them and their profit margins they wouldn't be making a lot on each animal. Do you think if they did they would stop doing it? I don't for a second think any of them would except for the minority that are in it for the money and this is why they need to do the mass takings in each trip to get the decent profit margins.

Takers licences have been out for 10 years and the amount of line bred captive stock from takers is minimal. They either don't breed a lot or what is bred is sent to the pet shops to sell because they are easier to deal with than pain in the arse tyre kickers. It's only now that the hobbyists have come out like yourself snowman and are getting good at breeding that more captive bred animals are available and being sold at a reasonable price. Captive bred animals are a lower overhead cost so why shouldn't they be sold cheaper?

No 2 snakes are the same and so no 2 prices will be the same. It's such a dynamic market you will come across cheap animals and expensive ones and there will be a buyer lined up for them somewhere. The ones in it for the money will blow in and blow out.

And on another note: Takers start breeding those hot ass animals you are hoarding away! We know you have them now start doing something with 'em haha

Offline Molerat52

• Young serpent
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 06:41:33 AM »
The cost of raising an animal can cost more than the royalty. Raising beards for example easily costs more than the $20 royalty in food alone not to mention the effort in making sure their enclosure is perfectly tuned to keep the temperamental guys alive. And that's not even considering time spent and the benefit of getting a tame animal is more appealing than a wild caught with no history for most people. Although this isn't the case with all species but an example of one which takes a lot of time, effort and cost to breed
I say it's perfectly justifiable for captive breeders to sell at the same if not higher price

Offline stencorp69

• Administrator
  • Reptile fossil
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 06:26:31 AM »
I am eagerly awaiting the commencement of take of the new listed species which I presumed was supposed to happen the day after gazettal - this still does not seem to be the case.

I'm pretty sure this has been resolved - Gordon Wyre emailed me that the issue was resolved 2 weeks ago

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 07:18:16 AM »

I'm pretty sure this has been resolved - Gordon Wyre emailed me that the issue was resolved 2 weeks ago
I doubt it... I still cant get an import permit for boiga. Lost my deposit now because the new quarantine procedures still haven't been released and no import permits can be issued.

Offline stencorp69

• Administrator
  • Reptile fossil
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 08:44:55 AM »
The quarrantine procedures for imports aren't DEC issues, but that shouldn't prevent wild taking

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 09:44:27 AM »
The quarrantine procedures for imports aren't DEC issues, but that shouldn't prevent wild taking

I sent you the email I got. They are DPaW issues. They are writing new procedures/conditions.

Offline stencorp69

• Administrator
  • Reptile fossil
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »
NOt sure why that needs to be rewritten

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6