Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 7
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Don't know what to get someone please help!!!!  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Hezza

• Just hatched
Don't know what to get someone please help!!!!
« on: October 07, 2013, 07:47:30 AM »
Hi guys I've now done like 2 months of research for my first snake I've chosen two enclosures. Now he's my problem one in closure for each snake a sw carpet python and a enclosure for a stimsons python. I really dont know which one to get after much research I seem to like both although I do lean towards the swcp. But many posts say that stimsons are best for first timers I just dont know which one to get!!

Offline lithopian

• Mature serpent
    • Photography Blog
Re: Don't know what to get someone please help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 08:34:07 AM »
Get yourself a carpet :) There are still plenty of young hatchies around so that you can grow in confidence as the snake grows too. Carpets are out and about- visible most of the time, whereas stimmies are hide-huggers. Not to say they are not a great first snake though! I started with stimmies.

Obviously there is a considerable size difference between the two species too. If you're happy with how bit a SW can get in terms of being able to house it, I would definitely go with that one :) 

Just a little tip- choosing "your first snake" should not be too daunting...within about 6 months I guarantee you'll have at least 2 :P

Also!...if you do plan on getting a hatchie, you can hold off on buying a big enclosure until the snake has outgrown a clickclack. If you are unsure what that is, just google python click-clack- plenty of stuff out there.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:36:19 AM by lithopian »
Tip of the trade... make sure that your partner is just as addicted to reptiles as you are! Then the only argument you have is "OK, but where will we put them?"

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:47:10 AM »
My first snake was a SWCP. I think they are far better as first snakes. Get a hatchling and your handling skills grow as the snake grows.
I don't think you learn anything about handling a python from owning a stimi. They're just worms :P (JMO)

Both are great beginner snakes though. Womas would also be a great beginner snake, but for some reason they are cat 4 so you cant get them as a first snake.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:54:54 AM by Snowman »

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 08:49:40 AM »
Can sell you one of these lil fellas for $400 + $50
Dealer transfer fee.

Offline shane13

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:23:02 AM »
I started with carpets too! Got a second one within 6months actually ahaha!
I won't repeat what everyone has said but, carpets aren't boring as most people have said! Always out and about or basking.

Sneaky snowman (;

Offline Hezza

• Just hatched
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
Thanks guys really helpful you've made my decision up as I have thought a carpet would be more fun to raise. If anyone has any first timer tips im all ears  :D

Offline Alchemy

• Young serpent
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »
Carpets all the way mate for a first, tips Captive Breed, Don't feed to often large meals are better the heaps of small meals. Provide plenty of climbing stuff.

Offline Hezza

• Just hatched
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »
Thanks so getting a hatchling is definitely the way to go I think. However once it grows out of its click clack what terrium would you recommend.  Alsohow long will it be able to live in its click clack for?

Offline Hezza

• Just hatched
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
A bit more to add to my last question where would you recommend to buy a snake. As I don't know how reliable some of the pet stores are and I hate it how they always try and convince you to buy thingd you dont need. So if someone could please give me a list of things to buy so I dont get ripped offm when we buy other animals we buy from registered breeders but I dont know about snakes  ;)

Offline adderboy

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »
What size is the click-clack?  A hatchie can be kept in a plastic tub for a while providing there is a climbing branch and a separate hide.  It depends on how quickly it grows as to when you move it into an adult enclosure, but don't go there too quickly as young snakes tend to get "lost" in a big enclosure and become more defensive.  It would be best if you had something in between the plastic tub and an adult enclosure to help it adjust.

You'll get an idea of its needs from its behaviour and size. 

S

Offline Hezza

• Just hatched
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »
What size is the click-clack?  A hatchie can be kept in a plastic tub for a while providing there is a climbing branch and a separate hide.  It depends on how quickly it grows as to when you move it into an adult enclosure, but don't go there too quickly as young snakes tend to get "lost" in a big enclosure and become more defensive.  It would be best if you had something in between the plastic tub and an adult enclosure to help it adjust.

You'll get an idea of its needs from its behaviour and size. 

S

I haven't got the snake yet but im getting close so you think I should lead up to the big enclosure, would you say lead up with different click clacks, and tuen buy the final big enclosure or would you buy a few different sized enclosures to lead up to the big enclosure.

Offline adderboy

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 04:08:57 PM »
A bit more to add to my last question where would you recommend to buy a snake. As I don't know how reliable some of the pet stores are and I hate it how they always try and convince you to buy thingd you dont need. So if someone could please give me a list of things to buy so I dont get ripped offm when we buy other animals we buy from registered breeders but I dont know about snakes  ;)

There are a few people on this site who breed carpets.  Snowman and Winny had some hatchies earlier this year and may still have some.

Pet Shops are okay, though you need to go to one which has staff who know what they are doing - other people on this site may be able to steer you to the better ones.  There are some excellent online stores which sell things like heat cords, thermostats, and so on - places like Herp Shop, URS, and so on.  Depends what you are after.

You'll need heating - I always use heat cord because it's so reliable, safe and adaptable.  It can even be made into a radiant heat panel for little additional cost.  A good thermostat might cost you around $110.  You need climbing branches - easily found and cut to suit.  You also need a strong hide when can be easily cleaned - dark plastic boxes designed as hold-alls at Bunnings are good.  Just cut a hole (without leaving jagged edges), and make sure you have bought a suitable size.  The snake should feel snug, have enough air (add a couple of smaller breathe holes in case the snake blocks the entrance),  but not too much open space left inside, or it ceases to be a hide.  It should also be dark inside, so avoid clear plastic. 

Apart form a water bowl and feeding tongs (bbq tongs are fine) there isn't much more you need if you have an enclosure.

S

Offline adderboy

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »
 [/quote]

I haven't got the snake yet but im getting close so you think I should lead up to the big enclosure, would you say lead up with different click clacks, and tuen buy the final big enclosure or would you buy a few different sized enclosures to lead up to the big enclosure.
[/quote]

Just my suggestion.  It's what I do because going from a smallish click-clack to an adult enclosure seems to be a bit daunting for a small snake so if you have an intermediate option it would be preferable.  But if you don't have one already I'd say just buy a larger plastic tub as the middle option. 

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6