Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 3
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Where did I come from?  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Bare Coight

• Young serpent
Where did I come from?
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:49:18 PM »
Hi Gang, not so much a technical question but one more of curiosity I guess. I have been doing a lot of reading of the SWCP forum and have noticed that a lot of the more experienced (note I didn't say older!) members even have ideas about what region a SWCP may have come from. It got me thinking that I would like to know a bit more about my little fella. All I can tell you is that according to the paperwork I got from Pet magic in Cannington, he was born on 11/1/13 and purchased by Pet Magic on 22nd April. I would love to have a bit more info about him, maybe where his lineage originally came from or whatever......He does seem very placid and hasn't once even looked like having a taste of any of the family so I'm wrapped to bits with him and so far he's been the ideal first snake from what I gather. He has settled in to his enclosure well and is feeding like a champion......Any ideas where he might have come from? ...............Cheers,............Bare  ;D    I have included a photo also...(I think)...... 

Offline Tafkas1

• Mature serpent
Re: Where did I come from?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:11:16 PM »
It's impossible to be sure on parentage unless buying from a trusted breeder with known locale animals. So any opinion is guess work. You may have an animal from cross locale parentage that shows physical trait of one parent more so than the other, despite them potentially being from completely different regions.

Whatever it is yours is a very nice critter and I have a feeling somebody may recognise it as one of theirs and be able to shed some light.

Offline Bare Coight

• Young serpent
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:08:40 PM »
Thanks for the info Tafkas1, buying from a pet shop, I expected not to get a lot of information regarding where it might have came from but when you're new to the hobby, pet shops, especially those which deal a bit more with reptiles, are an attractive place to start. Having read this forum for a few weeks, it seems that there's not a heck of a lot of breeders around so I thought someone might either recognise it or remember selling a batch of young'ns to the shop. Thanks again.........Bare  ;D   

Offline shane13

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:01:38 AM »
Judging just on the striped body, I'd say one of the parents was most likely a Geraldton, which funnily enough is probably the most common locality.

But that's just a guess, the only SWCPs I've seen with striping that covers most the body are Geraldton locals, hence where I made my assumption. A slightly educated stab in the dark ;-)

I'd say safely that both parents are of typical coastal colouring though

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »
Can't see any point assigning it a place of origin. It's a sw carpet and that is all it is now. Calling them Gero's or Mandurah etc should only be done (IMO) when they are wild caught or the progeny of wild caught animals that haven't been mixed.
Nothing wrong with mixed local animals either... Perhaps this is when descriptive names like black and white could probably be used. Though it shouldn't inflate the price as a sales tactic!

Offline rexman

• Young serpent
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
Bare id ask Matt at pet majic in Cannington! if that's where you got him from if you wana be locale specific he should be able to tell you as he's the reptile man their..

Offline lithopian

• Mature serpent
    • Photography Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 12:00:32 PM »
I was talking to Matt a few months ago about the SW hatchling that I bought from there a few years ago and he said that it was most likely one of his - that majority of the hatchie stock they sell is bred by him or his co-workers. I'm sure they still buy things from private, but that's what he said. If you go in and give him the dates, he may be able to give you some more info :)
Tip of the trade... make sure that your partner is just as addicted to reptiles as you are! Then the only argument you have is "OK, but where will we put them?"

Offline Bare Coight

• Young serpent
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »
Thanks for all the advice gang. I dealt with Matt at the time of buying the little fella but had no idea at the time that there were actually different regions that these come from. It's no biggy, it's probably one of Matts anyway by the sound of it. I just like to have as much information as I can if it's available.........Thanks again........Bare  ;D

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6