Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 8
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: SW Carpet Enclosure- how big is big enough?  (Read 2992 times)

Offline winny

• Geriatric reptile
Re: SW Carpet Enclosure- how big is big enough?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 06:55:32 PM »
Correct I had 41 x 7lt systema tubs, and I would happily put them in large enclosures but space in the house for so many is the problem. My first snake went into a 1800 high 1000 wide and 500 deep enclosure when I purchased it and the enclosure from a very respected dealer, the snake at the time was about 6 months old. As for irresponsible I did suggest lots of places to hide this in turn should provide good thermoregulation, if you look at my original post I suggested making sure it had good temps. lots of hides provides objects to rub on when shedding, the larger the enclosure the more area to shit  and the feeding in captivity is dependant on the owner not the enclosure size. So I disagree, I said this was a topic people would have different opinions on. And then you agreed the enclosure size would be fine? Please don't make this topic personal by suggesting I am irresponsible, I declined to sell to someone the other day until they got the temps in the enclosure and the setup suitable, it took them 2 days and now they have a hatchie in a great environment. just state your opinions people.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:19:17 PM by winny »
1 X Male SWCP "Stan"
1 X Female SWCP "Karma"
1 X Female BHP "Phoenix"
1 X Male BHP "Apollo"

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
Correct I had 41 x 7lt systema tubs, and I would happily put them in large enclosures but space in the house for so many is the problem. My first snake went into a 1800 high 1000 wide and 500 deep enclosure when I purchased it and the enclosure from a very respected dealer, the snake at the time was about 6 months old. As for irresponsible I did suggest lots of places to hide this in turn should provide good thermoregulation, objects to rub on when shedding, the larger the enclosure the more area to shit  and the feeding in captivity is dependant on the owner not the enclosure. So I disagree, I said this was a topic people would have different opinions on. And then you agreed the enclosure size would be fine? Please don't make this topic personal by suggesting I am irresponsible. just state your opinions people.

You got lucky, it doesn't always work out that way. How is the feeding in captivity dependant on the owner not the enclosure? Large spaces often result in stress which in turn results in poor feeding habits. This isn't new stuff, from what/ whos experience are you basing your opinion on? How many clutches have you raised in large enclosures to come to this conclusion?

I agreed the enclosure size would be fine because the snakes 70cm long and currently housed in a smaller enclosure, the size is for a future enclosure to move the snake into down the track. Go back and read the first post.

I am stating my opinion, my opinion is your irresponsible telling new keepers this rubbish. Nothing personal ;)

Jordan

Offline winny

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »
Jordan if you wish to attack me or my reputation do it in private PM me.
As for snakes being scared, if you provide an enclosure with as near as possible an environment as would be found in the outdoors how can this cause a problem. I said provide lots of hides as is found in the outdoors, I suggested make sure of good temps, in the wild the snake has to search for the right temp. I base my experience on what I was told by someone most people on here would class as being one of the most experienced keeper/dealer in perth. Also raising my first snake from a hatchie in a large enclosure, also my stepson raised his first python in a similar sized enclosure. I will happily show anyone how to heat a large enclosure to whatever thermal gradient they wish to have or a single temp if required. I suggest to all buyers of hatchies that they keep as much of the enclosure around the 31 degree temp as possible for the first year to aid in feeding. As yet I have not had a problem feeding any snakes and that includes my stepsons hatchie that was purchased knowing it was a problem feeder and had been kept in a small tub, it was placed into the large enclosure and within two weeks had its first feed in our care and has never refused food since, she laid 17 eggs this year and 17 hatched. I have been asked by 3 individuals for advise and tips on getting problem feeders to eat, each time the advise I gave was followed and all are eating well. Granted some of this may be luck  but as I said (in my opinion), each person can chose to listen or not. Its your opinion this is rubbish not everyones, and you are entitled to that opinion. But that does not mean I or my advise is irresponsible. Ask anyone who has purchased a snake from me what they think about my advise.
1 X Male SWCP "Stan"
1 X Female SWCP "Karma"
1 X Female BHP "Phoenix"
1 X Male BHP "Apollo"

Offline matty.B

• Just hatched
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
Correct I had 41 x 7lt systema tubs, and I would happily put them in large enclosures but space in the house for so many is the problem. My first snake went into a 1800 high 1000 wide and 500 deep enclosure when I purchased it and the enclosure from a very respected dealer, the snake at the time was about 6 months old. As for irresponsible I did suggest lots of places to hide this in turn should provide good thermoregulation, objects to rub on when shedding, the larger the enclosure the more area to shit  and the feeding in captivity is dependant on the owner not the enclosure. So I disagree, I said this was a topic people would have different opinions on. And then you agreed the enclosure size would be fine? Please don't make this topic personal by suggesting I am irresponsible. just state your opinions people.

You got lucky, it doesn't always work out that way. How is the feeding in captivity dependant on the owner not the enclosure? Large spaces often result in stress which in turn results in poor feeding habits. This isn't new stuff, from what/ whos experience are you basing your opinion on? How many clutches have you raised in large enclosures to come to this conclusion?

I agreed the enclosure size would be fine because the snakes 70cm long and currently housed in a smaller enclosure, the size is for a future enclosure to move the snake into down the track. Go back and read the first post.

I am stating my opinion, my opinion is your irresponsible telling new keepers this rubbish. Nothing personal ;)

Jordan

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »
Jordan if you wish to attack me or my reputation do it in private PM me.
As for snakes being scared, if you provide an enclosure with as near as possible an environment as would be found in the outdoors how can this cause a problem. I said provide lots of hides as is found in the outdoors, I suggested make sure of good temps, in the wild the snake has to search for the right temp. I base my experience on what I was told by someone most people on here would class as being one of the most experienced keeper/dealer in perth. Also raising my first snake from a hatchie in a large enclosure, also my stepson raised his first python in a similar sized enclosure. I will happily show anyone how to heat a large enclosure to whatever thermal gradient they wish to have or a single temp if required. I suggest to all buyers of hatchies that they keep as much of the enclosure around the 31 degree temp as possible for the first year to aid in feeding. As yet I have not had a problem feeding any snakes and that includes my stepsons hatchie that was purchased knowing it was a problem feeder and had been kept in a small tub, it was placed into the large enclosure and within two weeks had its first feed in our care and has never refused food since, she laid 17 eggs this year and 17 hatched. I have been asked by 3 individuals for advise and tips on getting problem feeders to eat, each time the advise I gave was followed and all are eating well. Granted some of this may be luck  but as I said (in my opinion), each person can chose to listen or not. Its your opinion this is rubbish not everyones, and you are entitled to that opinion. But that does not mean I or my advise is irresponsible. Ask anyone who has purchased a snake from me what they think about my advise.

No point sending private messages, the whole point was to make this visible to everyone. I'm not interested in attacking you, I don't know you and I really couldn't give a rats arse about you either which way. What I have a problem with is people giving 'advice' that muddies the waters for new keepers, especially when the advice is contrary to accepted methods and based on very little personal experience.

Keep it as simple as possible for first time owners, the more complicated you make it the more you increase the chances of them fucking it up. Smaller enclosures are easier to heat, easier to clean, easier to secure and the snakes tend to feed better in them......why confuse the matter?

Jordan

Offline winny

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »
Jordan
Have a look at the ways reptiles are kept today compared to when reptiles were first able to be kept in WA, WAHS are in the process of writing new keeping guides as they feel the old guides written can know be improved on due to new and better keeping ideas. As we learn I am sure more will change, I am willing to try new ways perhaps one day the things I am trying will prove to be better than those methods widely advised today. If you wish to follow the current trends go for it. I can see we will not agree on this topic, so will leave it there.
1 X Male SWCP "Stan"
1 X Female SWCP "Karma"
1 X Female BHP "Phoenix"
1 X Male BHP "Apollo"

Offline Bare Coight

• Young serpent
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »
Okay Lads.....I get it........I didn't mean for a relatively simple question to turn into a slanging match. I'll be more careful of what I ask in future as it is obvious that there are a lot of differing opinions out there and I'm sure they all work for each person. I guess trial and error may be a better way to go with some informed opinions to the side to help along the way.......Let's leave it at that hey................Cheers, Bare..... :D

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6