Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: SW Carpet Enclosure- how big is big enough?  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Bare Coight

• Young serpent
SW Carpet Enclosure- how big is big enough?
« on: July 28, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »
Hi Gang, Just a newcomer to all this but the kids and I have recently acquired our first little SWCP approx 70cm long. On the pet shops advice, we bought a small Exoterra enclosure for it with all the fruit, with the intention of upgrading to something larger within the next 12 months. All seems well at the moment and he is feeding well. What I would like to do for the next enclosure would be to buy something like a pine display cabinet and slowly modify it so that it will be suitable for him (it?) when the time comes.....My question is....I have seen a 3 door display cabinet in which the enclosure would measure 1070mm wide x 380mm deep x 1380mm high. Everyone I ask about this seems to have a different opinion on whether this would be large enough for a single SWCP in the future...........any thoughts? I want to make sure he will be happy but I have been getting conflicting advice over what would be suitable, hence this post...........Thanks for you time.........Bare.     

Offline winny

• Geriatric reptile
Re: SW Carpet Enclosure- how big is big enough?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:59:17 PM »
This topic always has different opinions.
Some people will tell you if you put a small hatchie in a large enclosure it will be scared, spooked or something along those lines. Good sales man if you ask me. I think of it this way the big wild outdoors is just that BIG. In the wild the difference is the snake has lots of places to hide under rocks, logs, under leaves, under rubbish, or up a tree. If you provide lots of hides in the enclosure the snake should be fine. Make sure the snake just can not get out, and it has good temps. Well that's my opinion and experience but im sure others will disagree. The size enclosure you are talking about should be fine a bit bigger than 380 deep would be better but I see no problem with that size.
1 X Male SWCP "Stan"
1 X Female SWCP "Karma"
1 X Female BHP "Phoenix"
1 X Male BHP "Apollo"

Offline Bare Coight

• Young serpent
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:09:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice Winny. Still in the early stages of planning at the moment but just wanted to put it out there and get some proper experienced advice to avoid making a stupid mistake. Will keep an eye out for something a bit deeper....Thanks again....Bare.

Offline maxinads

• Mature serpent
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:03:27 AM »
I've done the same thing. Bought a second hand display cabinet, and converted it for my SWCP hatchie I got of Winny.
Its actually quite a decent sized cabinet, and even though he is still only a small snake, it works really well. cant remember the exact dimensions off the top of my head, but its approximately 1900mm high x 800mm wide x 400mm deep. All i have in there is 1 heat lamp for basking, a small hide on the floor, a water dish, and a bunch of branches and an LED light.
Works perfectly.
Is generally cheaper, and nicer looking than buying a prefab enclosure
Most of my enclosures now are converted cabinets, and all you need to do is cater for the type of animal you are intending on putting in there.
Sizing wise, as Winny said, these animals are born and live in the wild, so no point in getting something too small JUST because its a baby

Offline Bare Coight

• Young serpent
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »
Thanks Maxinads, I'm hoping to do the same as you, buy a cabinet, and gradually install the bits and pieces over 6 months or so.......It won't hurt the hip pocket as much as just buying the whole pre-fab job and everything all in one hit. I've only seen the one display cabinet at the moment and that's what gave me the idea....I'll keep hunting around for something really suitable and start from there....Thanks for the advice.........Bare.

Offline maxinads

• Mature serpent
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:14:16 AM »
not a problem. its also more satisfying putting your animal in something you made for them. I think...

I'll take some photos of mine and show you what I've done.

Offline Bare Coight

• Young serpent
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »
Thanks mate, that would be great........Bare. :)

Offline maxinads

• Mature serpent
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 12:06:47 PM »
In order...

SWCP Enclosure
Marbled Velvet Geckos
Western Netted Dragons
Stimson Python (Sold to my brother lol)

Sorry about the crap quality. they don't allow decent sized images on here :/

Offline Bare Coight

• Young serpent
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »
You've done a good job there, nicer looking in my opinion than ready-made jobs.....now to start shopping!

Offline maxinads

• Mature serpent
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 01:52:59 PM »
Thanks Bare!

Just keep on checking out Gumtree for display cabinets and/ or reptile enclosures. Sometimes there are some nicer homemade ones that aren't overly expensive.

But its a good feeling of pride converting your own, thats for sure.

Offline viridis

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »
there is formula on here for a rule of thumb enclosure size, just search the archive section....v
( You will never fail ------ if you never quit )

Offline Bare Coight

• Young serpent
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:24:25 PM »
Thanks Viridis, I'll check it out once I get the hang of using the site............Cheers, Bare  :D

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 02:26:13 PM »
I've seen somewhere the rule is something like:
The larger enclosure should be half their length, by quarter of their length, by quarter of their length minimum. Larger the better in the end, as they will appreciate the room when fully grown.

1200L x 600H x600W is fine for adults. Give carpets more height and they will use it..

Floor space is handy once you try and put hides and water bowls in. Plus a branch or a rock etc...
I wouldn't build a viv less than 550 deep. But that's just me.

Offline Bare Coight

• Young serpent
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
Thanks Snowman, I've still got plenty of time to have a good look around so I want to do the righty by my Carpet and get it right the first time. Thanks everyone for all your replies and advice, it's been very helpful. It's great to see a bunch of enthusiasts that care about their pets so much............ ;D

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »
This topic always has different opinions.
Some people will tell you if you put a small hatchie in a large enclosure it will be scared, spooked or something along those lines. Good sales man if you ask me. I think of it this way the big wild outdoors is just that BIG. In the wild the difference is the snake has lots of places to hide under rocks, logs, under leaves, under rubbish, or up a tree. If you provide lots of hides in the enclosure the snake should be fine. Make sure the snake just can not get out, and it has good temps. Well that's my opinion and experience but im sure others will disagree. The size enclosure you are talking about should be fine a bit bigger than 380 deep would be better but I see no problem with that size.

The outdoors is big, yes, but if also offers millions of options for thermoregulation, feeding, hiding, shitting and shedding. An enclosure is never going to match this and it has been shown time and time again that hatchling snakes are more comfortable and feed better in smaller enclosures. Smaller enclosures are also easier to heat over winter keeping hatchling snakes feeding. Sure, some snakes do just fine in large enclosures but many don't, why risk it with a new keeper who hasn't got the experience to adjust the enclosure to suit the animal? To say what you've said is irresponsible and likely to cause issues for at least some of the people who follow your 'advice'. How many hatchlings do you raise in large enclosures? I think I remember a whole shit load of sistema tubs in some pics posted by you....

You should be right with an enclosure that size Coight, though I'd go deeper (like Snowman mentioned) if it was me. My carpets are all in 1200 x 445 x 600 boxes.

Jordan

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6