Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 7
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Field Guides  (Read 1569 times)

Offline maxinads

• Mature serpent
Field Guides
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »
Hey all,
Was curious as to whether anybody can recommend some decent field guides for reptiles/amphibians in WA. I have one specifically for the Perth area, but wouldn't mind one for the whole state.
Also, any keepers guides that are a must-have?

Peace!

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
Re: Field Guides
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
Cant really go wrong with Wilson and Swan, by far the best Australia wide field guide around.

Jordan

Offline bohdi13

• Mature serpent
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »
don't think there is any West Australian based field guides but I would definitely recommend 'the complete guide to reptiles of Australia'-Steve Wilson & Gerry Swan.

the latest one is absolutely great and I find it very handy when it is needed. superb photos and information for every known sp. of reptile indigenous to Australia.
"money doesn't buy happiness" maybe it doesn't but it does buy reptiles and that's close enough :lol:

Offline Tafkas1

• Mature serpent
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 08:03:46 AM »
Yep Wilson and Swan 3rd edition is the way to go.
The WA Museum's, Lizards Of Western Austrtalia. I Skinks. Is also handy as it has much better keys, unfortunately it is not as current as the Wilson and Swan So can cause some confusion cross referencing.

There is also Field Guide to Reptiles and Frogs of the Perth Region and Field Guide to Snakes of the Pilbara.

Keeping guides as current as possible is a must as it can get a little confusing when your reading and or discussing animals that have been reclassified which seems to happen on a daily basis.

I have two copies of each of my field guides one for the field and one for my home collection.

Offline maxinads

• Mature serpent
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 07:26:18 PM »
Awesome. Thanks guys, will check them out

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6