Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Few questions on breeding  (Read 1682 times)

Offline shane13

• Reptile fossil
Few questions on breeding
« on: May 20, 2013, 11:36:25 AM »
It's been a long time goal since I got my carpets as hatchlings to breed them, I think now the time is right. The female is 4 and half now and the male is 5 and a half.

When should I begin cooling them? And does that mean all heating should be switched off? They currently both have their own separate enclosures, so would it be best to introduce him into her cage? They've never been taken out together either, so I'm a bit worried how they will react with being together.

The female is about 1.7m long, unsure on her weight, but I struggle to hold her up using a hook with one arm. So she's getting fairly heavy I assume.

Also, a few things on feeding, should I be bulking her up before I cool her? Or should I hold back on the feeding because of the cooling period?

Thanks anyone who can help :)
Shane

Offline Rich

• Geriatric reptile
Re: Few questions on breeding
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
If you go to this website, the articles are pretty miuch all there under the breeding section. There might be a few specific requirements you can get for imbricata from Mike Swans book - Keeping and breeding Australian Pythons. Anyway with imbricata, just follow the conditions we live in would be the best bet as they live here.

For Hanc - there is an article on Womas there as well.

http://www.southernxreptiles.com/RA%20ARTICLE%20PAGE.htm

Offline adderboy

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
Agree with Rich.

Just one thing - yes, you should ensure you have given the female plenty of food in the summer preceding breeding to ensure she is in top condition, but if you haven't done it by now it is probably too late.  Having said that, you have indicated she is heavy enough already.  I just wanted to suggest that ramping up her feeding NOW as we go into winter, could be risky for what should be obvious reasons.

S

Offline shane13

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys,
I had a good read over the articles.

I think I'll give this season a miss, rather her more prepared for it next season.

Hopefully by that time I'll be settled in with her up in Perth instead of still in Bunbury

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6