Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 7
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Advice on heating?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline bohdi13

• Mature serpent
Advice on heating?
« on: April 02, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »
Hey everyone,

I will hopefully be aquiring a beautiful yearling M. Imbricata in may and am setting up an enclosure in the mean time which is a wooden enclosure. I am going with the idea of the PVC perch with artificial grass. The perch will be heated with a 15 watt heat Mat on thermostat going accross the length of the enclosure two thirds high. I am going to use LED light strips from bunnings to light the enclosure during the day for the day and night cycle.

With the heat Matt, when it is circled inside the PVC pipe may the sides touch each other?  I also have a 1 watt heat Mat that doesn't get hotter than 38 degrees by itself on a thermometer which I was planning on placing under the substrate which will be artificial grass. I have heard and have seen some results of the risks involved in having the heat Mat in the enclosure as I know that they are meant to be under glass heating objects. But Because it is only a one watt heat mat and it will be on a thermostat I assumed and have trust in it that it won't over heat or hurt my imbricata.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thankyou in advance, Bohdi.
"money doesn't buy happiness" maybe it doesn't but it does buy reptiles and that's close enough :lol:

Offline AndrewHenderson

• Reptile fossil
  • 2 stimmies, 6 SWCP, 3 Womas, 2 BHP.....lucky 13?!
Re: Advice on heating?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:47:31 PM »
One heat source is more than enough hey. I'd can the PVC pipe idea for now and just go with the heat mat on the floor and put a thermostat on it. I have heat mats under fake grass and have for 3 odd years and had no problems, buy good quality microclimate ones and stay away from the cheap ones.

I saw the rolled up heatmat pic on the FB page, They aren't made to be rolled up like that. Heat cord around the pipe is the better idea for that as it gives an even heat and you can add or take away runs as requried.

Offline bohdi13

• Mature serpent
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:54:11 PM »
One heat source is more than enough hey. I'd can the PVC pipe idea for now and just go with the heat mat on the floor and put a thermostat on it. I have heat mats under fake grass and have for 3 odd years and had no problems, buy good quality microclimate ones and stay away from the cheap ones.

I saw the rolled up heatmat pic on the FB page, They aren't made to be rolled up like that. Heat cord around the pipe is the better idea for that as it gives an even heat and you can add or take away runs as requried.

Thanks for your reply mate,
I was thInking maybe I should just stay with the one heating source and I think I will considering you know what you're talking about.
Should I use a ceramic tile under the fake grass? Or just leave the heat mat under the wood base?

Thanks, Bohdi.
"money doesn't buy happiness" maybe it doesn't but it does buy reptiles and that's close enough :lol:

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:56:21 PM »
I've set up the heat mat in a pipe and ran it for a few weeks. Pretty awesome idea considering the size of the basking spot, how stable the temps were and how cheap a 14w mat is to run. The guy who put the pics up on Facebook knows his stuff. He's been using that method for a few years I believe. His carpets still eat and breed. And he's managed to breed a few different female Bhps which a few people have struggled to have succes with in Perth area too. I'm all for people sharing new ideas.
There's a million ways to heat a viv. Just have to find what works for you. I'm still loving coreflute heat panel shelves for my Bhps. I want to set them up for my carpets too next.

Offline AndrewHenderson

• Reptile fossil
  • 2 stimmies, 6 SWCP, 3 Womas, 2 BHP.....lucky 13?!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:02:59 PM »
That was going to be my next post trent, experiment and find what works for you. I have my methods, Matt has his etc. I just think that using heatcord on the pipe is a better idea rather than heatmats I'm not doubting Matt's experience or ability, it just all boils down to personal choice in the end!

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:32:36 PM »
Yeah I agree. I think if someone is asking about heating then they should also be looking at the simpler methods.
It's only through trying different things you can work out what works best for yourself.  I've tried ceramic heat emitters, heat cord, heat mats etc all in different ways. At the end of the day I want heating that doesn't require replacing very often, doesnt cost much and is cheap to run. I like the idea of the proherp heat panels. But at $140 each plus postage to WA, I'll stick with my home made one for $35.
Something I'm fussy about that I haven't noticed anyone else mention on any of the forums is keeping everything off the floor. I find it easier (personal preference) to change the newspaper substrate when the only thing on the floor is the water bowl. I suspend/fix branches at least 10cm off the ground. Use elevated slide out hides etc. Its purely a preference thing like heating. I just like being able to lay the paper quickly and neatly. As well as clean up quickly. I guess I keep fairly minimalistic enclosures. I like using shelves too. I'm amazed at how full some of the noobs on APS fill their enclosures. Every skull and branch they can find. Again I guess each to their own :)

Offline bohdi13

• Mature serpent
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 08:40:52 PM »
That was going to be my next post trent, experiment and find what works for you. I have my methods, Matt has his etc. I just think that using heatcord on the pipe is a better idea rather than heatmats I'm not doubting Matt's experience or ability, it just all boils down to personal choice in the end!

i bought the heat mat quite some time ago for the frogs i used to keep. i'd rather use what i have got then go buy another heating element for $20-$30. i asked the bloke if i was better off using a heat cord a couple of months back when he first posted it on facebook as i rather heat cords but he said either way i'll be right. so i thought why not just use what i have.

considering the imbricata i am getting is a yearling i am assuming he will only have around 6 months or even less in there depending on how much he grows, i thought i might aswell try the heated PVC perch in this enclosure.

thanks for your suggestions and i really appreciate your replies.

bohdi.

Offline Silencer83

• Young serpent
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
So I am trying to sort out the heating in my vivarium. I have a 100w ceramic emitter set up but I can't seem to get the basking spot above 30 degrees. If I sit the thermostat probe on the light cage it easily hits 37 degrees and maintains but as soon as I move it anywhere else no luck. Any advice?

The vivarium is approx 1m by 1m by 0.7m. It did come with a heat mat but that is on the other side of the vivarium.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:47:28 AM by Silencer83 »

Offline winny

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 08:48:24 AM »
I would check the temp with a second thermometer not just the thermostate. I am able to reach a basking spot with a 60watt incandecent globe so a 100W ceramic should have no problems. I would also remove the heat matt and use a heat cord run through coreflute. heating a small area with a heat cord I find is easier and uses less watts than trying to heat with a globe or ceramic.  Also check that you do not have too much ventilation in the enclosure this can greatly increase the wattage required to heat an enclosure or reach a basking spot.
1 X Male SWCP "Stan"
1 X Female SWCP "Karma"
1 X Female BHP "Phoenix"
1 X Male BHP "Apollo"

Offline Silencer83

• Young serpent
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »
I don't have the heatmat plugged in because I was under the impression that I should stick to only one heat source. Should I have ground heat in addition to the ceramic?

The vivarium has way too much ventilation; 4 of the black vents plus two areas in the roof. I have covered the two roof areas with old bookshelves but this has not made any difference to the temperatures that have been reached.

I like the coreflute idea but don't have ready access to it; unless Snowman or yourself want to sell me some. ;)

I'll get a second thermometer and see if that changes things.

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 10:40:23 AM »
You should be fine with just the ceramic. Get a thermometer so you can measure the temps. Outdoor section at bunnings have them for $13
If you are NOR I can come and check your set up. Otherwise I'm sure someone SOR can also help you out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:42:24 AM by Snowman »

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline ClaytonMoreno

• Just hatched
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 01:44:37 PM »
Hey everyone,

I will hopefully be aquiring a beautiful yearling M. Imbricata in may and am setting up an enclosure in the mean time which is a wooden enclosure. I am going with the idea of the PVC perch with artificial grass. The perch will be heated with a 15 watt heat Mat on thermostat going accross the length of the enclosure two thirds high. I am going to use led light strips from bunnings to light the enclosure during the day for the day and night cycle.

With the heat Matt, when it is circled inside the PVC pipe may the sides touch each other?  I also have a 1 watt heat Mat that doesn't get hotter than 38 degrees by itself on a thermometer which I was planning on placing under the substrate which will be artificial grass. I have heard and have seen some results of the risks involved in having the heat Mat in the enclosure as I know that they are meant to be under glass heating objects. But Because it is only a one watt heat mat and it will be on a thermostat I assumed and have trust in it that it won't over heat or hurt my imbricata.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thankyou in advance, Bohdi.

Really liked your way of dealing with heat...Even I will now make use of artificial grass and leds to control the heating.. Thanks for this wonderful information
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:45:15 PM by ClaytonMoreno »

Offline bohdi13

• Mature serpent
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 07:31:16 AM »
I ended up going with the perch idea and won't look back for carpets, so nice to see her out 80% of the time wrapped up on the perch. 

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6