Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 7
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Running Costs  (Read 2445 times)

Offline poseidom14

• Just hatched
  • "All Men Are Animals; Some Just Make Better Pets.
Running Costs
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »
Hey Guys really wanting to get into herping, just have a question about running costs.

I Used to breed and keep fish was up to 8 fish tanks at one stage got real expensive as far as running and feeding. What is every ones thoughts on their costs of keeping mutiple snakes. It shouldnt be more than a running fish tank ?

Offline cm666

• Geriatric reptile
Re: Running Costs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:41 PM »
I am lucky up here as dont use heat pads, etc - keep them all at normal temps for Kimberley - my major cost is food - I order up big but air freight is a killer - suppose when you think of how much it costs to feed a cat or dog for a year I think it is far cheaper keeping snakes   I dont normally keep other reptiles except when doing rehab with them prior to release - the added cost of live insects is huge   -  initial purchase of vivs was high especially with freight costs ( most of mine came from over east)   I dont really worry about costs as the enjoyment of keeping and breeding snakes is far more worthwhile

Offline poseidom14

• Just hatched
Question
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »
Is it possibl to house mutiple snakes in a single enclosure....providing that its big enough?   1.5Hx1.2Lx0.6D

Offline adderboy

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:36:35 PM »
Possible, yes, depending on species.  Advisable?  Probably not. 

To start with, you should never house different species in the same enclosure.  Then you have some species which are very risky to house together - eg two male BHPs together would be a no-no esp if a female is nearby.  And then, even with species that get along okay being housed together, you have the problem of feeding.  Each animal would have to be taken out of the enclosure to feed separately or you run the risk of inadvertent suffocation of one or more animals (ie another animal trying to eat the same prey item and progressively smothering the snake eating it from the other end).  And you would need to wash down each animal before putting it back in the enclosure because it will smell of prey and possibly be attacked by a hungry cagemate.

You're going to have to face it - keeping reptiles might not be as cheap a hobby as you think.  It might pay you to read a bit more about keeping pythons - Swan's book is excellent.  Not saying you haven't read anything, but the more reputable books you read the less mistakes you are likely to make.

Offline kc_read

• Young serpent
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 06:07:26 PM »
The initial outlay costs a bit but i find feeding and enclosure running costs to be quite low, it costs me about $25 for 5 weaner rats and they last about 5 weeks give or take if he aint feeding or is especially hungry.

Offline poseidom14

• Just hatched
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »
I was looking at a male and female SWCP hatchlings to start with. Enclosure nice and tall for lots of climbing and hides all the way up..

Offline kc_read

• Young serpent
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
Mines 2.4m x 1.2m x 0.6m but thats probably way to big for a hatchy,  theres a nice looking yearling on gumtree atm. If I wasnt buying some Shinglebacks id have grabbed it... arwell maybe next time. Good choice btw :P

Offline stu

• Mature serpent
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »
Housing multiple snakes of the same species in the same enclosure is fine given they are of a similar size. I've kept all from Stimsons to Olives together in pairs for years with no issues. Just need to make sure you feed them at opposite ends of the enclosure. The Reptile Parks house most snakes in multiples, probably mulgas excepted for the species we can keep.

Offline poseidom14

• Just hatched
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »
saw that KC awsome colour...not ready as yet to buying anything still reading researching and building own viv

Offline poseidom14

• Just hatched
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:03:16 PM »
Stu - So if i had separate holding racks to feed them in i should be fine?

Offline kc_read

• Young serpent
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 07:12:06 PM »
Heres the one i built if you need ideas, theres also a bunch more over at APS,
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/large-diy-project-182121/

Offline stu

• Mature serpent
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 08:08:58 PM »
I've always made sure they are out of striking distance of each other, ie at opposite ends of the enclosure and given them both a rodent at the same time. Generally once they each have their rodent they'll focus on that.

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 01:16:14 PM »
I wouldn't house them together personally, if you get really food responsive animals its only a matter of time before the shit hits the fan. I've had carpets try to eat each other now on two different occasions (all adult animals) that were only housed together for breeding purposes. Even residual smell or movement outside the cage (like a person walking past) can set them off.

I'd entertain the though of keeping Antaresia together year round but wouldn't even think about any other species on our list.

Offline herpingmad

• Mature serpent
    • Ellenbrook Local Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 09:04:26 PM »
If you want to reduce running costs use efficient heating where possible such as heat cable and if you want light as well use LED light strips or bulbs.  Choosing a good enclosure also helps, ones made entirely out of glass require significantly more heat to maintain temperature.[size=78%] [/size]

Offline stu

• Mature serpent
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 04:10:39 PM »
If you're in Perth, definately head down to Armadale Reptile Centre and check out all the the species they've been housing in multiples for two decades. The Gaikhorsts have a wealth of experience and are always more than happy to help answer any questions.

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6