Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 4
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: DIY Enclosure  (Read 1734 times)

Offline poseidom14

• Just hatched
  • "All Men Are Animals; Some Just Make Better Pets.
DIY Enclosure
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:07:47 PM »
G,day guys first post in the forums, got a question when it comes to building my own enclosure. Are there limits in size i.e. height wise that shouldnt be exceeded? Was looking at making a 2m tall enclousre with a real tree inside like thing before i go out and buy my first python. I know you need a good heat variant to warm up and cool down. Was gonna try and make it as close to real thing as possible....... And with SWCP's what sort of humidity do they like?

Offline Tafkas1

• Mature serpent
Re: DIY Enclosure
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »
2m high is fine but large enclosures can leave a snake feeling vulnerable so be sure to provide a few hides.

I've never been concerned enough about humidity for SWCP  to test for it in enclosures, though I have tubbed animals that only receive water for a day or two at a time due to condensation forming. In an enclosure with a vent or two and a water bowl there shouldn't be a problem.

That said if you have a real tree in the enclosure I expect you will have some trouble with humidity due to watering needs and condensation through leaves. The snake will also cause damage to foliage etc and cleaning could be problematic.

Living terrariums are few and far between due to the difficulties in maintaining them, though I'm sure the people who put in the time and effort find it extremely rewarding.

Offline winny

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
A 2m tall enclosure would be great for a large SWCP. If you get a hatchie you will need to supply lots of hides at different heights. I personally do not worry about humidity, see how the first few sloughs go and make adjustments as needed. ie move the water bowl closer to the heat source to raise humidity, but make sure you have water in a cool spot also.
1 X Male SWCP "Stan"
1 X Female SWCP "Karma"
1 X Female BHP "Phoenix"
1 X Male BHP "Apollo"

Offline kc_read

• Young serpent
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »
if you need any ideas, ive got an old post on APS, http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/large-diy-project-182121/
It measures 2.4m high by 1.2m wide and 0.6m deep

Offline cm666

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:37:36 PM »
welcome poisedom  -  the living tree sounds great in a large enclosure - only trouble is you dont want it growing through and out of the enclosure in case it leaves an escape route for the python - are you in the south or north of oz?   swcp should do okay outside in Perth but probably need a heated hide for winter or move it inside during the cold months   -  only other issue with a large enclosure is getting in to get the snake out when you want - if you get one that becomes cage protective you could have a lot of fun getting it out    enjoy anyway

Offline poseidom14

• Just hatched
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:45:27 PM »
Great thanks for the replies guys alot of help. I wanted it big so i could house possibly two little guys and yeh had some great ideas for mutiple hides...ie birds nest , cave , burrow, bird house looking forward to this project. Id have the whole side as one opening door made out of perspex multiple vents .

KC those measurements were roughly what i was looking at too

Offline poseidom14

• Just hatched
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »
Ok i found a cheap way of making my own enclosure....whats your opinion on these measurements?

Length: 820mm
Depth: 450mm
Height: 1800mm

Im concerned about it being deep enough

Offline kc_read

• Young serpent
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »
450 does seem pretty small but then again if theres branches that allow it to stretch out it should be fine someone told me as long as the snake can lay 3/4 of its length straight its big enough

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6