Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Goldfields Herping  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Bloomers

• Reptile fossil
Goldfields Herping
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »
Hell all,
Mon and myself went out herping yesterday to a location just outside Kambalda,
Did not get target species, and animals were few and far between, but here are some of the photo's anyway

C. reticulatus

D. granariensis granariensis

L. tridactyla - Correct if wrong (4limbs with 3 digits each.)

Cheers
"Truth is, everybody is gonna hurt u, u just gotta find the ones worth suffering for

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
Re: Goldfields Herping
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:26:44 PM »
That time of year again, finally  ;D

The Lersista is kingi or timida, tridactyla has a moveable lower eye lid. Can't make out the frontoparietals unfortunately, if theyre fused into a plate its timida or if paired its kingi.

Jordan

Offline Bloomers

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
Jordan..

Thanks so much, thought you may ask for head scales.
So here is the pic i took for i'd purposes.

Again, thz for the i'd
"Truth is, everybody is gonna hurt u, u just gotta find the ones worth suffering for

Offline Bloomers

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
after just looking up where frontoparietals are located, i realise this photo is not that great, but for i'd it is the best i have... Next time i will work my techniques out alot better.

Thanks again

Offline Notechis

• Young serpent
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:21:35 PM »
 ;)

Offline urodacus_au

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »
Pics good enough, you can see the frontoparietals are paired. Lerista kingi it is....

Jordan

Offline Bloomers

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 06:15:57 PM »
This reminds me to only use the most recent field guide.
Thanks heaps Jordan.

Offline Bloomers

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »
Well Ladies and gentleman and every herper out there. :)
I went out for a couple days on a small herping trip, still a little cold overnight, so did not find to much, but got a few firsts for me so i am stoked, no snakes unfortunately maybe next time hey.

Ctenophorus fordi

Nephrurus laevissimus

Those are the two firsts for me and this average picture of ....................

Very common in the goldfields :)

I did see some other reptiles, and a couple of other firsts(they are not counting though as i could not get a good photo of them.) :(

Alas that is all for now.
Hope you all liked.

Offline Bluetongue

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 11:38:35 PM »
Bloomers,

Great shots. Thanks for posting them. I am not sure how you got so close to the C. fordii but congratulations on a job well done. The gecko is Gehyra variegata. The white spots or bars in contact and underneath the dark bars on the back are a pretty reliable diagnostic feature of this gecko.

Cheers,
Mike
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:46:40 AM by bluetongue »

Offline Bloomers

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 07:45:58 AM »
Blue
It's bloomers, not bondy
I knew the species of the gecko, just having fun because I'm sick of this gecko species, so hard to photograph as well, one of these days ill get a good photo of one. :)

A lot of time and patience went into getting close to the dragon, I found a couple of specimens, but this youngster in photo let me the closest, quite a beautiful species too, fast around the spinifex .. good times had. Now for another adventure I think.

Stoked about the knobtail. Been chasing them for a while now. Sad I could only get half decent pics, beautiful animals, they should be added to the list,  one day maybe.

Offline Bluetongue

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 04:32:20 AM »
Sorry about the misnomer Dave. After a few reds you can measure my attention span in microseconds.

I did wonder what was going on with the gecko. I was thinking perhaps you had gone far enough north to be in G. purpurascens territory or something. It seemed to make sense at the time. I am certain if I had a couple more glasses I could make sense of it. Then again, maybe best I stick with a cuppa...

Other than it has a regenerated tail, I thought that was a pretty good shot. The littleblighters do have a habit of moving when you least expect it.

I love the dragon. They are so similar to C. maculatus badius that I used to see a lot of in the red dunes back of the house when I lived out at Brown's Range in Carnarvon. They were quite brillintly coloured and move like the wind over even loose sand. They seldom ever dived for cover, preffering to literally run you round in circles around the nearest bush. I swear the cheeky little blighters new I was no competition and just did for the fun.

So you definitely did well,
Mike
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:35:09 AM by bluetongue »

Offline Bloomers

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »

Offline Notechis

• Young serpent
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »

Offline MiddleOfNowhere

• Reptile fossil
  • Looking Sharp
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
Hey All,

This is a first for both Bloomers and I Varanus Tristis.
Unfortunately we were too late save this guy as he must have spent days in a sewerage tank. We did cover up the hole as best as we could, and hopefully we can save a few of these wonderful critters.

MON
The most venomous snake in the world is the one that just bit you... Unless its a python.

Offline Niall

• Geriatric reptile
    • Reptile Mania
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »

I've always wondered what Goldfield Tristis look like and now I do.
Beautiful looking animal and is a shame it didn't make it, looks like it was a healthy looking animal aswell.

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6