Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 6
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Member locations  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Hanc

• Young serpent
Member locations
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »
Was wondering if it were possible to somehow categorise forum members by the town or city they live in so that when you place a message etc on the forum, people who are within your surrounding area can respond knowing that if they are interested in purchasing or selling an item etc etc, they know you live within their locality and not in another state or town that is possibly 10-12 hrs drive away making it generally unrealistic to be able to travel that distance to purchase or sell something.
For example, if i live in Perth and am looking to buy a python and place a message on the forum, when peolpe respond, i can instantly tell what location they are in, just as they can tell what location i am in, instead of people responding and having what i'm after, only to find out that they live 3 days drive away....just as an example.

Any thoughts? 

Offline shane13

• Reptile fossil
Re: Member locations
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »
this is a good idea, but simply could be avoided if someone stated the area when advertising?

Offline zeppelyn80

• Mature serpent
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »
I live in Wyalkatchem, so no matter what I still have to travel wherever the purchase might be, I dont know any reptile keepers in my area.
Lynsey

6 SWCP, 12 Womas, 3 BHPs, 3 Olives

Offline eipper

• Mature serpent
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »
 I live in god's country aka south east queensland... I can keep all the west Aussie stuff that you guys want to... Without the political bullshit. If you are selling or buying an item generally that requires communication ask the location and the desirability of freight etc then.

Cheers
Scott

Offline Orangamanda

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 06:07:31 PM »
I wouldnt want my locality on a public forum.
Probally best to say aprox locations ie North of the river, south west, goldfeilds etc  :)

Offline MiddleOfNowhere

• Reptile fossil
  • Looking Sharp
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »
I wouldnt want my locality on a public forum.
Probally best to say aprox locations ie North of the river, south west, goldfeilds etc  :)

Agreed, Generalisation is fine and i think that was hanc's original thoughts, APS offers members a similar thing, and they can put whatever they like. One location i liked a while ago was "Exploring the depths of Insanity" If people really wanted to they could always use the signature at the bottom of their post to show where they are. I like mine how it is though...

MON
The most venomous snake in the world is the one that just bit you... Unless its a python.

Offline winny

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:14:56 AM »
All you need do is click on the forum member name which will take you to their profile, look under location and if they want people to know where they live they will have placed it forum profile information.  I have put Madeley, If I wanted to be more vague I could have put Wanneroo or nothing. When someone advertises something on this forum and does not say where in the post they live I click on their name and check their profile if they have no email address, no location, no age, and most of the other details are missing, I personally dont bother to contact them. I could PM them but choose not to as I dont want to waste their time or mine finding out they are further than I am prepared to drive. Perhaps not logical they may be just around the corner but thats the way I feel.
1 X Male SWCP "Stan"
1 X Female SWCP "Karma"
1 X Female BHP "Phoenix"
1 X Male BHP "Apollo"

steve1

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »
I am in Warnbro the asshole of Rockingham and therefore most people assume I have nothing of value so I don't mind people knowing I'm here, not that it matters in relation to this thread as for the above reasons I also have nothing to sell

Offline Megz

• Mature serpent
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »
I am in Warnbro the asshole of Rockingham and therefore most people assume I have nothing of value so I don't mind people knowing I'm here, not that it matters in relation to this thread as for the above reasons I also have nothing to sell
LOL  :D
Cooloongup would be worse.

steve1

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
LOLá :D
Cooloongup would be worse.

Haha, I grewed up in Cooloongup went to Cooloongup pre primary right through then bought my first house there.
I thought I was moving up in the world when I bought in Warnbro now I wish I hadn't sold up and moved.

Offline Wowsk

• Young serpent
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:15:42 AM »
Lol
I've lived in rocko (Baldivis)my whole life and don't see where it gets the reputation from
Let's get rowdy

Offline Megz

• Mature serpent
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 04:12:27 PM »
Baldivis doesn't count haha

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »
Why are you all living SOR? Come north where the grass is greener :)

Offline Megz

• Mature serpent
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 04:16:09 PM »
I wish, but too far from the babysitters.

Offline kc_read

• Young serpent
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »
im with snowman the north is where its at, i tryed SOR but just couldnt hack it

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6