Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: Possible Paid Work in Reptile Displays  (Read 4776 times)

Offline eracer

• Young serpent
Possible Paid Work in Reptile Displays
« on: August 18, 2011, 06:46:38 AM »
Hi guys,
For quite a while now I have been busting my @#$@ (like we all do) building up various sides of my business, Reptiles by Request.
At present we are getting a lot of requests for various types of displays/shows/kids parties etc etc. Unfortunately, I have no-one to help me with these displays at present. For various reasons it is particularly difficult to get someone on board that is available on an 'ad hoc' nature. For example, my animals need to be cared for daily (or ever other day, cause I am with them most of the week anyway) but their care only takes a couple of hours per day. We do a lot of birthday parties that will suck 3 hours out of a Saturday or Sunday (including prep and travel). Often we do much bigger shows that will take a whole day or weekend. Every now and again we might get a shopping centre for a week or two during school holidays.

So I thought what the heck, I will post my wish list for someone on this forum and see what happens?
I need someone who:
Preferably is studying biology or something similar that only requires part-time work. This also fits well with the shopping centre displays during school holidays as I would expect the person might have capacity to work more if we get a booking.
Knows reptile biology, beyond the knowledge of the pet Herpetofauna trade.
Can drive a car (with a licence preferably), back a trailer, and load and lift heavy items. I have the car and trailer, btw.
MUST live local to Ellenbrook.
Does not mind dedicating parts of their weekends (Saturdays or Sundays) to do very short or long displays
Has no interest whatsoever ever in perpetuating myths about snakes, particularly that they are aggressive or dangerous, in an effort to boost their own ego for being a snake handler (hey, it happens!)

I sincerely believe that there is almost ZERO chance that I will find a suitable person, and at this stage I am prepared to shut down my displays for good. This would be a great shame, as I (and many others – you know who you are) have worked very hard on building our reptutation. But the simple fact is, I don’t have the time to do it. Reptiles by Request is a hobby business for me. I do it because I love it. It has cost me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ over the years, but the time has come to say enough is enough. The display side of the business has to be self-sustaining or it is time to shut it down.

Offline Bloomers

• Reptile fossil
Re: Possible Paid Work in Reptile Displays
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 06:54:20 AM »
Hey mate , you'd do much better if you advertised this job at university's and mate all the best I hope you succeed.
"Truth is, everybody is gonna hurt u, u just gotta find the ones worth suffering for

Offline eracer

• Young serpent
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:02:13 AM »
Yeah bud, cheers. Just did that at ECU in Joondalup. About the only uni anywhere near ebrook. Its kinda weird as it is not your average job add!!

Offline Sinners121

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:26:46 AM »
If i was old enough i would definatly take the job hahaha sadly im only in year 12 and next year i will be away 2 weeks out of three but if you still want people the year after im definatly in :)\
Cheers
Synjon
2 bearded Dragons, 1 stimmie, 1 carpet python

Offline AndrewHenderson

• Reptile fossil
  • 2 stimmies, 6 SWCP, 3 Womas, 2 BHP.....lucky 13?!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 08:56:18 AM »
HAHAHA you want someone that goes to uni that can back a trailer?!? Good luck with that one! :P

Offline Scrubby

• Mature serpent
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 09:52:39 AM »
Hey

I go to uni and I can back trailers, boats and pretty much anything. Can also drive trucks, forklifts, tractors, motorcycles, boats (power and sail), bobcats and front end loaders.

Obviously the academic life doesnt pay very well.

Cheers
Shaun
The more I learn the less I know

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 10:00:54 AM »
Hahaha nice one shaun. My brother went to uni and has no problem backing in any of his private fleet of 1 boat and 3 jet ski's. Though his x5 does have a reversing camera that tells you how much and which way to turn the steering wheel  with guide lines on the screen ;)

PS Come on Shaun. The academic life pays okay. My old man was a dean at a uni and did okay out of it.  ;) :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:06:51 AM by Snowman »

Offline eracer

• Young serpent
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »
Ha ha....you guys crack me up.  ;D

Offline Scrubby

• Mature serpent
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:36:27 AM »
A dean is one thing but a postgrad researcher struggling to exist on a scholarship is quite another. The wife can barely afford to keep me in snakes.

Offline Snowman

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:09:15 AM »
Yeah true. The good news is it will only get better for you though  :)
Dad started out as a lecturer and decided to stay working as an academic and worked his way up through the system. He had some side research projects in waste oil that ended up earning him and the uni some nice little royalties. Probably depends what field you are in as to how well it pays too I guess.

Offline eracer

• Young serpent
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »
Scrubby,
What you studying and where?

Offline Scrubby

• Mature serpent
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 06:19:25 PM »
Doing a PhD in landscape ecology with ECU.

So the options are stay poor or go to the dark side and consult.

Of course I could go back to the trucks

Offline carpetcleaner

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
It would be a shame to see your displays go because of lack of time. You should maybe get in touch with Cassa Rowles. She is studying at Uni, has a keen interest in herps and has a reg 16 to boot. She has only just started out, but is going reat guns with it all and is like minded with yourself, so may be able to arrange something that would suit both of you.
Good luck with it.
I am trying to get my reg16 at the moment, but I am in Albany and am not interested in doing it full time (already have a full time job). I just want to be able to educate kids and maybe newcomers to the hobby, or people that have always admired from afar but never knew how to get involved. Nothing makes my day more than helping someone overcome a fear of snakes to find them happily holding a Python that they don't want to hand back.
When my brother in law brought his kids for Christmas and he and his wife took photos of the kids holding them and I dribbled on like a school teacher for hours educating them about Pythons........nothing better!
Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening. Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

Offline eracer

• Young serpent
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 08:33:48 AM »
CC,
She sounds like a goer. any chance of pm ing me her details. I suspect I may have already met her when we were doing a display.
I love the displays and that is why I have pushed to keep it alive for so long. It is such a good diversion from my normal day to day job which (as scrubby nicely puts it - working for the dark side as an environmental consultant). Scrubby, its not so bad. It pays the bills. 
Thanks for the tips.
E

Offline eracer

• Young serpent
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 08:34:34 AM »
scrubby,
Is that ECU joondalup

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6