Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Top Poster

Snowman Snowman
2074 Posts
Bluetongue
1426 Posts
carpetcleaner carpetcleaner
1402 Posts
shane13 shane13
1286 Posts
Dave MacIntosh
1237 Posts

Author Topic: reptile shows in WA?  (Read 7195 times)

Offline liney

• Mature serpent
reptile shows in WA?
« on: March 27, 2010, 08:45:42 AM »
would like to know if there are or will be any reptile shows in WA as over east seem to be a lot more organised but the interest levels here would justify having one.

Offline viridis

• Reptile fossil
Re: reptile shows in WA?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:34:40 AM »
We have not got the population here to warrant a show, how ever if you join the WAHS, Gary and some other people bring reptiles into meetings sometimes.---v
( You will never fail ------ if you never quit )

steve1

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 01:07:46 PM »
Plus our license conditions would make it difficult to hold shows.

Offline Bluetongue

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 08:01:49 PM »
You are quite correct Steve.  Keeper’s conditions 7 and 12 – You are not allowed to display to the public and your animals must be kept at all times at the address specified on the licence. 

Although this was not part of the WAHS submission we did make enquires about it during our recent meeting with DEC.  It presents problems from a management viewpoint because you need to alter the gazetted licence conditions and do so in such a way that you don’t have keeper’s doing things like taking their vens down the local park and showing them off to all and sundry or even to their kid’s school for “show and tell”.  They want these sort of activities to remain within the realm of the licensed professional exhibitor.

Viridis, WAHS was actually invited to join the WA Finch Society and some other groups, as part of their annual bird show at Cannington in May.  Under those circumstances I believe it would great exposure for the hobby, as the other groups will draw the majority of the crowd.  But unfortunately, for the reasons pointed out by Steve, we cannot do it.

Mike

Offline viridis

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:06:46 AM »
Mike
 Q-- WAHS was actually invited to join the WA Finch Society and some other groups, as part of their annual bird show at Cannington in May.  Under those circumstances I believe it would great exposure for the hobby, as the other groups will draw the majority of the crowd.  But unfortunately, for the reasons pointed out by Steve, we cannot do it.

just need to try and  get some one with a reg16 lic, to get on board, I guess.---v
( You will never fail ------ if you never quit )

steve1

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 01:08:54 PM »
I know a couple of people with reg 16 who would probably be keen,  but is there enough reg 16 holders with sufficient animals to make a show worthwhile?

Offline shane13

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 04:59:13 PM »
then if dealers attend people can trade at the event too?

Offline Dave MacIntosh

• Administrator
  • Reptile fossil
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:06:53 PM »
A dealer is only permitted to deal from the premises where is licence is held but can obviously deliver sold reptiles.

steve1

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »
I think the dealers would still need a reg 16

Offline shane13

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 05:10:20 PM »
ok, so people wouldnt be able to buy reptiles at the event?

steve1

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
you could probably view animals and agree to purchase at another time, the problem would be getting enough people with the applicable licenses to attend, and I imagine one of the drawcards at eastern states shows would be the ability to make a buck on the day wich would be difficult in Perth. Personal I think W.A. is a long way of having a reptile show our laws and licensing just don't make it viable.

Offline carpetcleaner

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 05:52:14 PM »
Give it 10 years. I considered getting a Reg 16, but how many people in the Lower Great Southern really want to see retpiles?? I suspect the following and the enthusiasm would be low. Half the problem is being that this state is so wide spread. A small following in NSW is one thing, but in WA, when you have a following in the Pilbara and another in Metro and another in the great southern....you begin to see the dilemma. I love Reptiles and am a WAHS member and supporter, but attending meetings is just a no go for me, being 4 or 5 hours away. Reptile shows is another thing all together. I would love to attend, but the distance....
Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening. Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

Offline Bluetongue

• Reptile fossil
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:06:04 PM »
At the moment it would require someone with a Reg 16 to donate their time, effort and petrol, which is a lot to ask if you are trying to make a living out of it.  If anyone knows of a Reg 16 holder that is prepared to volunteer, I’d love to hear from them.

This type of situation was mentioned to DEC in WAHS recent meeting with them, along with being able to take reptiles to WAHS meetings.  The current regs simply don’t allow it but there is a strong argument for allowing reptile keepers the same provisions as bird keepers in this respect.

I will look at it more closely when I get the time.  At the moment I am up to my eyeballs in other more pressing reptile related matters.

Mike

Offline winny

• Geriatric reptile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
There seems to be a good responce to this subject on the forum, perhaps the same responce would happen if we had a show.
Could I suggest that perhaps if we found someone with a Reg 16 that has a resonable number of animals, we could donate $10 each to aid the Reg 16 holder to cover some of the costs. If we were to join the finch or some other show then people are already in attendance at the show, and thus we increase the awareness of our hobby to the general public.
1 X Male SWCP "Stan"
1 X Female SWCP "Karma"
1 X Female BHP "Phoenix"
1 X Male BHP "Apollo"

steve1

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 08:39:01 AM »
Sounds like a plan could come together if everyone keeps voicing ideas on here. The problem with using for example the finch club I reckon the herps will steal the show LOL. There was a fair down here a few weeks ago with a rep display and  there was a huge amount of interest from the general public,  I think people in general have a fascination with reptiles and even the people that profess to have a fear of them were tentatively reaching out to touch there slimy scales, There may be a fair amount of misconception related to snakes in particular but I think people with a genuine phobic fear of snakes are in the minority. Maybe if some reg 16 holders could be enticed with a contribution and the opportunity to advertise it could be possible.   

* Top Boards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6